Truro is a small city in Cornwall, famed for its green roofed Cathedral. A town since the 12th century when a local Lord built a castle there under the direction of Henry II, Queen Victoria declared it a city in 1877.
The discovery of tin in the 14th century allowed Truro to grow as a mining town, and its proximity to the sea made it ideal for trading. However, it was in the industrial revolution in the 19th century which allowed Truro really to flourish as tin prices rose, and its importance resulted in its city status.
Truro is also famous for its narrow alleyways with strange names, including Squeeze Guts Alley. The town has a population of about 16,000 and residents make money from the tourism industry.
It is thought the town was named after the three rivers 'Tri-veru' that form Truro River.