In North London lies a town in the Barnet Borough called Finchley. In recent years, this town has become a residential suburb, with three town centres.
The origin of Finchley's name is believed to be a reference to the finches' clearing in the late Anglo Saxon period. There is then a large gap in scripture as to the use of the area. However, it re-appears once more at the building of St Mary's Church in the 13th century. The community then grew around the church.
Other landmarks in the town include the Avenue House; a large Victorian house built in 1859. It was home to local MP Henry Charles Stephens. He was also a strong leader in the ink trade. The building now homes a small museum, displaying the success and lives of the Stephens family.